International Visitors

Passports and Visas

International visitors to Canada must carry a valid passport to enter or transit through Canada. Visitors from certain countries require a visa to enter or transit through Canada. For more detailed information about admission criteria, visit Canada International's Website.

For resident from United States

Since June 1, 2009, anyone, including U.S. citizens, entering or re-entering the United States by land and sea will need to have a passport or other appropriate, secure document.

For current information on international travel, frequently visit the U.S. State Department Website.


The currency system in Canada uses dollars and cents similar to the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

It's always best to convert some of your money before leaving home. While in Canada, you will generally enjoy better rates when you change money at a recognized financial institution.

For additional information regarding currency exchange rates, go to the Bank of Canada's Currency Converter.

Sales Taxes

The TPS/GST (goods and services tax) is a 5 % federal tax applicable to most of the goods and services sold in Canada. The TVQ/QST (Québec sales tax), 9.5 %, is applicable to most products except basic foodstuffs. For more information, visit the following sites: Gouvernement du Canada and Gouvernement du Québec.

Units of Measure

Keep in mind that distances are measured in kilometres and speed limits are posted in metric as well. The metric system is also used for most grocery products.

Temperatures are measured in Celsius; a very simple comparison to remember is that 20 °C is about 70 °F, and that average daytime summer temperatures in Les Îles de la Madeleine are 23 °C

Useful Informations